Zesty Sriracha pairs so wonderfully with funky blue cheese in this interesting macaroni and cheese variation recipe. Oh, and we add some delicious Cheezits to the mix to make this sriracha mac and cheese recipe a taste bud teaser and family pleaser.
It is starting to get cold in my area and today we are going to heat it up! We are going to bring together some really bold flavors to make a strong tasting mac and cheese. This Blue Cheese Sriracha Mac and Cheese recipe is not for the faint of heart, but if you like strong flavors or like the taste of spicy chicken wings, this might be the right recipe for you.
Why these ingredients?
I am a big fan of stinky cheeses and blue cheese definitely falls into the category. I also ALWAYS have some sriracha in our fridge and am pretty sure I use it more than ketchup. As a bit of inspiration from my love of chicken wings, I thought this would be a great combination to put in a macaroni and cheese.
We have been doing a deep dive into macaroni and cheese. This flavor combination feels like a natural fit to me, so I went with it. In addition to our exploration of the history of mac and cheese, we have been making various recipes that include a traditional recipe and a gouda and pear recipe.
While developing this recipe, I thought that this would be an appropriate one to have a nice crisp on top, so I decided to add some nommy cheezits on top in place of the breadcrumbs. I also felt it important to bake this recipe.
This is a flavor bomb! The Blue Cheese Sriracha Mac and Cheese is going to delight your senses and is an easy recipe!
- 2 cups Hot & Spicy Cheez-Its
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups bleu cheese
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse Cheez Its in food processor and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook macaroni as directed on package, but only boil for about 80% of cooking time. It will finish in oven.
- While macaroni is cooking, in large saucepan melt butter on low
- When butter is fully melted, slowly start sprinkling flour in the pan and continuously mix. The idea is that the mixture of flour and butter will form almost a paste.
- Pour in just a little of the milk and whisk until smooth. Keep on repeating until all milk is blended in.
- Turn heat to medium-high and continuously stir. We want to get the sauce just to boiling and thicken.
- When the sauce starts to heat up, you will notice it start to thicken. Just continue to stir and once boiling, continue stirring for one minute.
- Remove from direct heat and slowly add 2 cups of the cheese to the bechamel while stirring.
- Add sriracha to sauce
- Once this is a smooth sauce, add cheese sauce and drained macaroni to a baking dish and mix together.
- Add remaining 1 cup of cheese on top of macaroni and cheese
- Add Cheez Its to top
- Put the dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until top layer of cheese is golden brown.