This Apple Crostata is as impressive as pie, but only half the work. This is such a delicious apple recipe that celebrates Italian desserts, apple desserts, and pies. We use a great homemade butter pie crust and fill it with real apples.
- 1 sticks of unsalted butter + 2 Tablespoons
- 1 1/4 cups white all purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water (approximate)
- 2 Medium Braeburn Apples
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cut 1 sticks of butter into 1/2 inch cubes
- Place into freezer for 20 minutes
- Place 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- After butter has been in the freezer for 20 minutes, add to food processor and pulse 5-6 times. The goal is to mix the butter into the flour. The cubes of butter should be no smaller than peas.
- Move flour mixture to large bowl
- Add water to flour 2 tablespoons at a time. Toss with fork. We want to get to the point when you take your hand squeeze a handful of flour, it should stick together.
- Work dough until it sticks together somewhat well and is in a disk. We don’t want the butter to fully incorporate. If you need to add more water, you can, but do so only very sparingly.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes
- Add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg to large bowl
- While freezing, peel and finely slice apples.
- Mix apples and the sugar mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Take dough out of the freezer and unwrap
- Get to your zen place. Roll out the dough.
- Use large glass bowl to cut a uniform dough. I use a large glass Pyrex mixing bowl that measures 12 inches in diameter.
- Place dough on cookie sheet
- Place apple mixture in the middle
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped butter on top of the apple mixture.
- Fold the dough over (see images)
- Put in oven for 2o minutes
- use tinfoil to cover middle part.
- Bake for 10 minutes and check. Is apple filling bubbling and crust golden brown? If so, remove from oven.
- Allow to rest for two hours.
- Cut and serve.
Keywords: crostata recipe