Two Detroit classics come together for this interesting and delicious mashup, the Detroit Style Coney Island Pizza! Have a go at this delicious pizza recipe!
- 200 grams luke warm water
- 2 grams sugar
- 1 grams salt
- 3 grams Dry Instant Yeast
- 65 grams canola oil + 1 tablespoon to oil pan
- 350 grams bread flour
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 1 pound ground beef heart
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1/4 cup beef suet
- 1/4 cup water (plus more)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 6 Saltine Crackers
- Mix salt, sugar, and water in large bowl
- Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 5 minutes
- Add 65 grams of oil
- Slowly mix in Bread Dough until it is all mixed
- Put in Mixer with Bread Hook on low for two minutes or knead by hand for 5 minutes
- Put in Oven with oven light on for 2 hours to let dough rise. If it is cooler in your house, also add a separate container of hot water to sit in oven along side dough
- While Rising, add all sauce ingredients to blender and blend
- Time to cook the sauce. Add heart, chuck, and suet to skillet and brown
- Once browned, add water, garlic salt, chili powder, cumin, and paprika
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Add water when needed to keep from going dry
- While simmering, crush crackers to a fairly fine consistency with a rolling pin or in a food processor.
- Once done simmering, mix cracker in Coney Sauce and set sauce aside. It should have a nice chili-like consistency.
- After two hours, add remaining oil to Detroit Pizza Pan and spread all around
- Stretch dough to cover bottom of pan
- Put Pan back into the oven with the light on for another 30 minutes to allow it to rise
- Once 30 minutes has passed, remove pizza and preheat to 550 Farenheight, making sure one rack is on bottom space.
- Press out any large bubbles from the dough and make sure dough covers bottom. Stretch out, as necessary.
- Add cheese evenly across dough.
- Top evenly with sauce.
- Once preheated, add pizza to bottom rack for 13-17 minutes. Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn, but you do want a nice golden brown crust with darker edges.
- Remove and rest for 5 minutes
- First, use knife to release crust on all sided. Then, use spatulas to remove entire pizza and put on cutting board.
- Use pizza cutter to cut into 12 pieces.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Detroit
Keywords: Coney Island Pizza