Easy, cheesy, and delicious! This Cheesy Mashed Potato recipe is a wonderful side dish that has all the comfort of traditional mashed potatoes, but the rich flavors that cheese can bring. Give this tasty side dish a try!
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded + 1 ounce to top and garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Bacon Bits (optional)
- Rinse potatoes well to remove starch and then add to large pot of salted, lightly boiling water
- Cook over medium until tender
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-low
- Add milk to butter and stir. Heat until warm.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted in and hot.
- Add cheddar and stir until melted in and hot.
- Remove from heat once all is melted
- Once potatoes are tender, remove and rice or mash into a large bowl
- Fold sauce into potatoes.
- Garnish, and serve
- Cool ingredients is one enemy of fluffy mashed potatoes. Make sure your cheese sauce is warm before mixing with the potatoes.
- Rinse your potatoes well before cooking to wike away starch.
- Use a potato ricer for best results, but a hand masher works well, as well
- You could use other melty cheeses like swiss, mozzarella, or even provolone.
Keywords: Cheesy Mashed Potatoes