This Aigo Bouido, or garlic soup, is a Julia Child classic. While it is so simple, it is restorative and so comforting.
- 16 Cloves garlic
- 2 Quarts Of Water
- 2 Teaspoons of Salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves
- 2 Sage leaves, chopped or ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 Sprigs Thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 Sprigs Parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup Olive Oil (NOT Extra Virgin)
- Bring some water to a boil
- Add garlic for 30 seconds.
- Run under cold water
- Remove skin
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT egg yolks and olive oil to pot.
- Bring to a light boil for 30 minutes
- While Water is boiling, add egg yolks to large bowl that will eventually hold soup
- Slowly add olive oil to bowl a few drops at a time and vigorously whisk (or use mixer) until it is mayonnaise.
- After soup has boiled for 30 minutes, dish one ladle into mayonnaise and mix.
- Using strainer, strain broth into the bowl.
- Feel free to press and squeeze garlic a bit to get some of the extra juices out.
- Ladle into serving bowl
- Garnish with garlic/cheese toast, crispy French bread, parmesan cheese.
Serve with a toasted French Bread
Keywords: garlic soup