Fresh, homemade flour tortillas for your authentic Mexican food experience at home! Not only does it taste great, but it is also economical and a fun way to spruce up your dining table.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon shortening (or lard)
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl
- Put in a stand mixer and use mixing attachment on low for 5 minutes or knead for the same amount of time.
- Weigh entire dough ball and divide into 6
- Form each into balls
- Wrap in plastic wrap
- Put into the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Put nonstick pan (I use a cast iron) on stovetop medium high
- While heating, I roll out each ball individually onto a lightly floured surface.
- Once about 6-8 inches in diameter and as thin as you can get them, they are ready
- Put on cast iron and cook each individually for about 45 seconds on each side. There should be some browning on each side. Adjust your cook time for you stovetop/pan as needed
- Place aside and once all are cooked, serve! These will dry out quicker than store-bought tortillas, so use em up!
Keywords: homemade flour tortilla