This easy Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish without Canned Soup is super easy to make, does not compromise on flavor, and can be cooked in one cast iron skillet. This is Midwest comfort food at its finest and you should make this hotdish today.
- 1 pound 80/20 hamburger
- ½ cup diced mushroom (about 25 grams)
- ½ cup diced onions (about 60 grams)
- 1 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup flour
- salt to taste (2 teaspoons)
- pepper to taste (1 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 ½ ounce can cut green beans (1 can), drained
- 15 ¼ ounce can whole kernel sweet corn (1 can), drained
- 1 lb frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- While preheating, cook burger over medium-high heat in cast iron skillet
- Once the ground beef is ⅔ cooked through, add onions and mushrooms
- Once burger is cooked through and onions are glassy, add flour and mix
- Add milk, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir over heat until thickened
- Add corn and green beans and mix until even
- Remove from heat and add tots to top evenly
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- Be a bit careful about using more ingredients than I recommend here. I use a 10" Cast Iron, and this recipe is the maximum amount I can cook in it.
- Make sure to use oven gloves for your cast iron skillet. Don't burn yourself!
Keywords: tater tot hotdish