This American Apple Pie has a great crust, an awesome filling, and is the quintessential American dessert. Treat yourself and your family to this Apple Pie Recipe today.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups white all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ice cold water (approximate)
- 5 Medium Braeburn Apples
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into ½ inch cubes
- Place into freezer for 20 minutes
- Place 2 ½ cups flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- After butter has been in the freezer for 20 minutes, add to food processor and pulse 5-6 times. The goal is to mix the butter into the flour. The cubes of butter should be no smaller than peas.
- Move flour mixture to large bowl
- Add water to flour 2 tablespoons at a time. Toss with fork. We want to get to the point when you take your hand squeeze a handful of flour, it should stick together. For this one, it ended up taking ½ cup + 2 tablespoons.
- Once this is done, divide into two. Work each half until it sticks together somewhat well and is in a disk. We don’t want the butter to fully incorporate. If you need to add more water, you can, but do so only very sparingly.
- Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes
- While freezing, peel and finely slice 5 large apples.
- Mix apples, ⅔ cup sugar, ¼ cup flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Take dough out of freezer and unwrap
- Get to your zen place. Roll out the dough. I suggest looking at the section above where I talk about rolling out the dough.
- Place one pie crust on the bottom
- Add pie filling
- Add 2 tablespoons butter that has been cubed
- Add top crust
- Use fingers to pinch crust together
- Trim excess dough, but the crust will shink a bit, so leave a bit
- Using fork, crimp the two doughs together further
- Brush light coating of egg on dough crust
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Using knife, slit four holes in crust
- Loosely wrap the crust edges with tinfoil to help prevent overbrowing of the crust edges.
- Put in oven for 35 minutes
- Remove tinfoil
- Check every 5 minutes and remove when it looks done. 40-45 minutes
- Let rest for at least 2 hours
Keywords: American Apple Pie Recipe