Butter Pie Crust makes some of the pie crust. No matter what kind of fruit pie you are making, this flour based pie crust can make the tastiest, flakiest crust around!
- 1 Cup (2 Sticks) of unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ice cold water (approximate)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into ½-inch cubes
- Place into freezer for 20 minutes
- Place 2 ½ cups flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- After butter has been in the freezer for 20 minutes, add to food processor and pulse 5-6 times. The goal is to mix the butter into the flour. The cubes of butter should be no smaller than peas.
- Move flour mixture to large bowl
- Add water to flour 2 tablespoons at a time. Toss with fork. We want to get to the point when you take your hand squeeze a handful of flour, it should stick together. For this one, it ended up taking 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons.
- Once this is done, divide into two. Work each half until it sticks together somewhat well and is in a disk. We don’t want the butter to fully incorporate. If you need to add more water, you can, but do so only very sparingly.
- Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Take dough out of freezer and unwrap
- Get to your zen place. Roll out the dough. I suggest looking at the section above where I talk about rolling out the dough.
- Place one pie crust on the bottom
- Add whatever filling you need.
- Add top crust
- Use fingers to pinch crust together
- Trim excess dough, but the crust will shink a bit, so leave a bit
- Using fork, crimp the two doughs together further
- Brush light coating of egg on dough crust
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Using knife, slit four holes in crust
- Loosely wrap the crust edges with tinfoil to help prevent overbrowning of the crust edges.
- Put in oven for 35 minutes
- Remove tinfoil
- Check every 5 minutes and remove when it looks done. 40-45 minutes
- Let rest for at least 2 hours
Keywords: Butter Pie Crust