Caldo De Queso is a delightful, comforting, Mexican soup that is easy to make, but unique enough to make it a special dish. Give this cheesy, spicy soup a try!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or one tablespoon of fresh
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to test
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 roasted poblano peppers, loosely chopped
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 10 Ounces queso fresco chopped into 1 inch cubes
- In large pot, add oil and heat to medium
- Add onions and cook until sweated, just a few minutes
- Add garlic and allow to cook another minute
- Add tomatoes and oregano. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes
- Remove cover, add peppers and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add Cheese and cook for 2 more minutes
- Remove from heat and add in milk and stir.
- Remove milk from the fridge at beginning of cooking to bring to room temp and avoid curdling.
Keywords: Caldo De Queso