Want to make an authentic Chow Mein recipe? Start with some authentic chow mein noodles. This recipe is my take on a real and fresh chow mein noodle.
- 156 grams Bread Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying in wok
Basic Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- ½ Cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth for vegetarian
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 1 Teaspoon fish sauce (omit for vegetarian)
- In Large bowl, mix flour and salt
- In separate bowl, add egg and water to make a total weight of 78g
- Beat the eggs and water
- Slowly mix egg/water mixture into flour
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes (do not add water) in the bowl or on surface
- Add dough to loosely covered bowl and let sit in fridge for 30 Minutes
- Knead for additional minute and should be a smooth ball at this point
- Sprinkle flour onto rolling mat and use rolling pin to roll out dough to 1mm to 2 mm thick. BE PATIENT
- Cut thinly with knife. In the video, she folds the dough, but I just roll it and cut the individual noodles.
- Once all noodles are cut, they are ready for a boil
- Add to Boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then strain.
Fried Noodles - Simple Preparation
- Add 4 Tablespoons Oil to Wok
- Heat Oil
- Add Noodles and Stir Fry for approximately 2 minutes or until noodles are crispy. The goal here is NOT to make them crispy like the 'from a can' variation, but noodles that have been stir-fried so they are crispy on the outside, but still noodle-like.
- Add any Stir Fry Sauce and cook to thicken
Keywords: Homemade Chow Mein Noodles