This Cauliflower Au Gratin is a classic, tasty, and simple casserole dish. It is great for any holiday or just a dinner side where you want something special.
- 1 whole cauliflower, cleaned and green leaves removed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces (about 1.5 cups) Shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit
- Fill a large pot full of water and bring to a soft boil
- Add Cauliflower and cook for 15 minutes or until tender when you put a fork in it.
- Remove from hot water and as soon as cauliflower is cool enough to handle, cut florets into bite sized pieces.
- In sauce pan, heat butter on medium heat until melted
- Add flour to butter and mix. It will appear like a thick paste.
- Slowly add milk and stir well. The goal is to integrate the butter, flour mixture with the milk. Turn heat up to medium high.
- Heat and stir until sauce thickens. Continue stirring until sauce starts to thicken.
- Once thickened add half of the cheese and mix. Remove from heat and continue to mix for a minute to ensure dairy doesn’t scald.
- Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to sauce.
- In casserole dish, add 1/3 sauce, cauliflower, and then the rest of the sauce, ensuring to cover all florets.
- Spread breadcrumbs evenly over top.
- Spread remaining cheese evenly over top.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from Oven and Serve.
- Remove the leaves before you boil the cauliflower. Your dog might like them as a treat. 🙂
- Use quality bread crumbs for the best result
- Layer your sauce in the casserole dish. Mornay sauce, the cauliflower, more mornay sauce.
- Bake until heated and cheese on top looks nice and melted. About 25 minutes.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/4 of total made
- Calories: 295 kcal
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 558 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
Keywords: Cauliflower Aug Gratin