Potato Pancakes are a delicious side dish, a great breakfast, or just a great meal. Get your potatoes out and learn how to make potato pancakes with this delicious classic German recipe.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Green onions (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Apple sauce (optional)
- Add potatoes to food processor and process until smooth
- Remove from processor and use cheesecloth to squeeze moisture out of potatoes. I also use a fine metal strainer underneath the cheesecloth, but that is optional. The point is to remove water from the potatoes.
- While potatoes continue to drain, add onion to food processor and run until smooth
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, onion (juices and all), salt, pepper, flour, and eggs
- Mix well
- Add two tablespoons of oil to nonstick skillet or pan and allow to heat to medium-high
- Add ¼ cup of batter, forming into a pancake shape and making sure not to crowd. I cook three at a time.
- Cook for 1 ½ - 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown
- Repeat until batter is gone, adding more oil as needed. I use approximately 5 tablespoons for the entire batch.
- Set aside on paper towel-lined plate until all are done, or optionally just serve
- Serve with sour cream and green onions or applesauce.
- Use cheesecloth to strain your potatoes
- I use sunflower oil because it reduces smell, but any high smoke point oil will work.
- Do not crowd your skillet
- Use as much oil as is needed! For me, I add a tablespoon approximately after every batch and allow to reheat for a moment.
- Serving Size: 3 Pancakes
- Calories: 264 calores
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1200 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: potato pancakes