Tasty pops of flavor and bold spice in this Grilled Blackened Shrimp recipe. Don't worry, though, we balance it with a refreshing and creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce. Together, it makes a great Summer pair and perfect for your grill.
- 2 Tablespoons Salt, for brine
- ¼ Cup sugar, for brine
- 1 Quart Water, for brine
- 12 Large Shrimp, deveined, shelled, and thawed
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
For Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Add Water, 2 Tablespoons Salt, and ¼ cup of sugar to container and mix until combined well
- Add shrimp and let set for 30 minutes
- If using wood skewers, allow to soak in water for 30 minutes prior to cooking
- Mix all Cilantro Lime Sauce in a dish and mix well. You can do this now, but also can do it the night before
- Place sauce in refrigerator until ready to use
- Combine rest of the dry ingredients into a container and mix.
- Once shrimp has soaked/brined for 30 minutes, drain shrimp and toss with dry blackening seasoning we just made.
- Skewer shrimp
- Lightly oil and preheat grill to 350° Fahrenheit
- Cook each skewer over direct grill heat for 3 minutes and 30 seconds
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Remove from grill and serve with cilantro lime sauce.
- The brining is optional, but I really recommend it.
- If using wood skewers, make sure to soak them for a bit.
- You can make the cilantro lime sauce up to a day before.
- Preheat your grill to 350° Fahrenheit before cooking.
- Use a Meat Thermometer to make sure everything is at safe temperatures
- Serving Size: 1 Skewer
- Calories: 248 calories
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 789 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 284 mg
Keywords: Blackened Shrimp, Grilled Srhimp