Jo Jos are a potato treat and these grilled jo jos should be on your menu. These are great tasting potatoes with a light breading that makes them taste like a million bucks.
- 2 medium potatoes, cut each into 6 wedges
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Bring pot of water to boil
- While water is heating, cut each potato into 6 wedges
- Add vinegar to water
- Add potatoes to water, allow water to return to boil, and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes. Test with fork at 3 minutes. Should still be firm and we do not want the potatoes to be soft. Remove before they get soft.
- Add corn starch, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and olive oil to larger bowl and mix well.
- Preheat Grill to 500° Fahrenheit.
- Add potatoes to the container with coating ingredients and gently mix until coated.
- Place in lightly oiled vegetable basket and cook over indirect heat
- Check for doneness at 25 minutes and occasionally turn or mix jo jos in basket to help ensure even cooking.
- Optionally, place over direct heat for additional 5-10 minutes
- If you use large potatoes, more time will be needed to cook.
- For crispier potatoes, put over direct heat (in the hot zone) for the last 5 to 10 minutes.
- The vinegar helps the potato stay firm and improves the ability to crisp up.
Keywords: Jo Jos