A homemade chicken stock that will leave your bellies filled and your house smelling like an old-fashioned hearth of joy and happiness. This chicken stock takes a little time, but it is totally worth it.
- Approximately 5 lbs of chicken bones (2 chickens debreasted, thigh meat and leg meat removed)
- 3 large carrots, chopped into 2” sections
- 4 celery, chopped into 2” sections
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Add chicken bones to stock pot
- Add rest of ingredients
- Fill until water covers everything
- Turn onto medium until water is at a bare simmer
- Turn down heat to keep at bare simmer
- Use heavy bowl or colander to weigh down ingredients so it is all suberged
- Every half hour, skim fat off of top
- If needed add additional hot water to keep ingredients submerged
- When done (6-8 hours), remove from heat and add to ice bath or allow to cool
- Place in fridge overnight
- In morning skim schmaltz
- Use within 3 days or freeze and use within 3 months.
- Make sure to boil for 2 minutes before use.
Keywords: homemade chicken stock