Why eat the canned stuff when you can make a simple, elegant, and flavorful version of your own Cream of Mushroom soup? This soup is really tasty and can be used for other recipes that call for condensed mushroom soup. Heck, it even makes a great gravy or add more liquid to make it a soup. This is a great all-purpose fresh Mushroom Soup recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces diced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon minced onions
- 1 Clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 Cup Vegetable stock
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme (optional)
- Heat medium saucepan and add butter, mushrooms, thyme, onions, and garlic
- Let butter melt and lightly cook the ingredients while stirring
- Once the butter is melted, slowly add flour to pan. The butter should turn into almost a paste. Continue stirring to make sure nothing is burning.
- Slowly add one cup of milk while stirring. We want the paste to incorporate with the milk so it becomes a consistent fluid.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and continue stirring until sauce thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable stock and continue to stir until everything incorporates evenly and bring to a boil.
- If making non-condensed soup, add remaining vegetable stock and milk.
- Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes being mindful to stir so it doesn't scorch on the bottom
- Can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.
- Add more stock to make it more soup-like or until desired consistency.
Keywords: Cream of Mushroom Soup