Why eat the canned stuff when you can make a simple, elegant, and flavorful version of your own Cream of Mushroom soup. This soup is really tasty and can be used for other recipes that call for condensed mushroom soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces diced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon minced onions
- 1 Clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 Cup Vegetable stock
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme (optional)
- Heat medium saucepan and add butter, mushrooms, thyme, onions, and garlic
- Let butter melt and lightly cook the ingredients while stirring
- Once the butter is melted, slowly add flour to pan. The butter should turn into almost a paste. Continue stirring to make sure nothing is burning.
- Slowly add one cup of milk while stirring. We want the paste to incorporate with the milk so it becomes a consistent fluid.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and continue stirring until sauce thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable stock and continue to stir until everything incorporates evenly and bring to a boil.
- If making non-condensed soup, add remaining vegetable stock and milk.
- Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes being mindful to stir so it doesn’t scorch on the bottom