Making your own homemade corn tortillas is both gratifying and makes for an excellent meal. This recipe is simple and really only needs a few ingredients.
- 1.5 cups masa Masa Harina
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp shortening or lard
- 1 cup water
- Plastic wrap
- Add Masa Harina to large stand mixing bowl
- Add salt
- Add Shortening
- Turn mixer on low. While mixing, slowly pour in water.
- Allow to mix for 5 minutes or knead for 10
- Form into large, tight ball,
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for half hour
- Measure the weight of entire mass and divide by 12
- Separate dough into 12 equally weighted balls. roll in hands until it looks like a nice, even sphere and set all aside
- Heat seasoned cast iron to medium high- if using another pan, make sure there is a small amount of oil coating pan or it is nonstick
- For each of the 12 balls do the following:
- Place ball between two sheets of plastic wrap
- Use large can (ie a San Marzano 28 oz) OR other pan (I used my Deep Dish Pizza Pan)to press ball down into something resembling a patty.
- Using rolling pin, evenly roll out the patty until it is as thin as you can make it and in a nice circular shape. This is a bit delicate. Use care
- Gently pull away from plastic wrap and don’t be afraid to ball it up and start over.
- Place on cast iron and cook 30 seconds to 1 minutes on each side.
- There should be light brown marking spotting on the tortilla and it should not be stiff.
- Remove and place into tortilla basket or wrapped in a towel on a plate
- While one tortilla is cooking, I start rolling the next.
- Gently stack into a large cloth and let cool (or eat)
- Use soon, as fresh tortillas will go stale and stiffen faster than store bought ones.
- Category: DIY
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: DIY Corn Tortillas