Making your own homemade sour cream is such a personal touch on any recipe you might need this accompaniment for. Sure, you could go buy some sour cream, but why do that when you can make your own! Look... I get it. This isn't something you do every day, but it is fun to try and very tasty.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (NOT ultrapasteurized), left out for a bit so at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup whole milk
- In a mason jar or similar dishes, add all ingredients and stir really well.
- Cover with a paper towel and rubberband
Allow to sit out of the fridge a warm, but not hot, area for 8-24 hours. About 72° degrees Fahrenheit would be perfect.
- Once done, stir, and store in the fridge for up to a few weeks.
- I use a quart mason jar
- Eight hours minimum to make this sour cream, but up to 24 hours and then refrigerate.
- If your house is cold, try placing in the microwave with a glass of hot water off to the side and the microwave light on.
- Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- Calories: 42 Calories
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg
Keywords: homemade sour cream