An easy to make traditional German Potato Salad. This Kartoffelsalat is a dijon and vinegar side dish that is perfect for a potluck, the holidays, or some nummy at-home comfort food.
- 2 Pounds Yukon potatoes, medium rinsed off and optionally peeled
- 1 Tablespoon White Sugar
- ¼ beef cup broth
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup diced white or yellow onion
- 4 slices of bacon cut into bacon bits
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- Simmer potatoes in salted water for 25 minutes or until tender enough to easily put fork through
- Add all wet ingredients and sugar to large bowl and whisk
- Add diced onions
- Drain potatoes
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch sections
- Mix into wet ingredients
- Gently Toss potatoes so well mixed into liquid
- Place in fridge, covered, and allow to cool for at least one hour, but preferably over night
- When ready to serve, top with bacon and chives
- I recommend Yukon Gold Potatoes, but any potato should work.
- Dijon Mustard is a flavor driving ingredient, so choose one that you really like.
- Allow the potatoes to cool a bit before you cut and mix.
- This dish can be served hot or cold, but I prefer cold the best. Do what you like.