Mashed potatoes are an important part of any holiday meal, but sometimes it is hard to manage those burners to get everything done on time. These Make Ahead Sous Vide mashed potatoes don’t lack in flavor, free up your burners, and let you make these taters well ahead of time.
- 2 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into approximately 1 inch squares
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature chopped into 1” pats
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fill Large Stock Put full of Water and set Sous Vide to 150 Fahrenheit.
- In separate large pot, heat water to a boil
- Rinse peeled and cut potato under cold water
- Add potatoes to water and cook until tender (approximately 10-15 minutes)
- Remove and strain in a colander. (Next part is OPTIONAL)Rinse potatoes under very hot water. If you can’t do this with very hot water and are serving immediately, skip.
- In a separate dish, add room-temperature milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Rice potatoes into dish and gently fold with spatula or wooden spoon to mix all ingredients and melt butter
- Add potatoes to a freezer bag or sous vide bag.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal.
- Submerge bag in water, using clips or clothespins to keep top out of water
- Up to one day, keep running. Remove potatoes and put in serving dish immediately before serving.
- Use Russet Potatoes
- Make sure you are rinsing the potatoes, but if you can’t do so with really hot water AND if you are serving immediately, skip this step.
- Use room temperature milk and butter to ensure potatoes remain hot
- This recipe can be made without the sous vide. Just serve immediately instead of warming with sous vide.
- Use clothespins or chip clips to keep top of sous vide freezer bag out of water
- Category: Holiday
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: Traditional
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb
- Calories: 278 calories
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 498 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 32 mg
Keywords: sous vide mashed potatoes