A Traditional Norwegian Rhubarb Cake that celebrates and features a Springtime favorite... rhubarb. It is going to start coming up and when it does, you know there will be plenty. This cake. also known as Rabarbrakake, is a great way to enjoy rhubarb and traditional heritage cooking.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable or neutral oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, chopped
- powdered sugar to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In stand mixer, whip egg whites to firm peaks
- In separate large bowl, mix egg yolks, oil, milk, and mix with whisk.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of chopped rhubarb
- Using an immersion blender, blend rhubarb until incorporated into liquid.
- Whisk in sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour 1/4 cups at a time and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites and gently mix.
- Lightly coat cake spring with shortening
- Pour batter into springform container
- Add rhubarb uniformly and allow to sit on top.
- Sprinkle sugar over the top evenly
- Evenly spread butter over top.
- Bake 45 minutes
- Use a toothpick and place directly in center. If it comes out clean, remove. If not, bake for 5 more minutes and try again. Repeat until done
- Once done, cool for at least two hours
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Use a springform pan[Affiliate Link]. While this isn’t 100% necessary, it does make cake making a bit easier.
- Employ the toothpick test. The toothpick test is done by placing a dry toothpick straight down into a cooking cake. If the toothpick is free from any cake bits or cake batter when you pull it out, your cake should be done. If there are still little tidbits on the toothpick, you know it needs more time. Bake it another 5 minutes and try again.
- You can whip your eggs by hand, but a stand mixer makes it so much easier.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of cake
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 384 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 90 mg
Keywords: Norwegian Rhubarb Cake