Pear and Gouda Macaroni and Cheese Recipe - Need to make breadcrumbs for your macaroni and cheese? Learn how to make breadcrumbs here. It is simple, tasty, and much cheaper than store-bought.
- 2 Pears cored and diced
- 4 Cups shredded gouda cheese
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 2 Cups of macaroni
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ Cup flour
- 3/4 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350
- Core and dice pears
- Cook macaroni as directed on package, but only cook for about 80% of the directed time - it will be finished in oven
- While macaroni is cooking, in large saucepan melt butter on low
- When butter is fully melted, slowly start sprinkling flour in the pan and continuously mix. The idea is that the mixture of flour and butter will form almost a paste.
- Pour in just a little of the milk and whisk until smooth. Keep on repeating until all milk is blended in.
- Turn heat to medium-high and continuously stir. We want to get the sauce just to boiling and thicken, but don’t want it to scorch.
- When the sauce starts to heat up, you will notice it start to thicken. Just continue to stir and once boiling, continue stirring for one minute.
- Remove from direct heat and slowly add 2 cups of the cheese to the bechamel while stirring.
- Once this is a smooth sauce, add pears to sauce and mix
- Add cheese sauce and drained macaroni to a baking dish and mix together.
- Add remaining 2 cups of cheese to top of macaroni and cheese
- Add Breadcrumbs
- Put the dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until top layer of cheese is golden brown.