Rhubarb Pie is a delicious Spring and Summer dessert that is perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Tart rhubarb and sweet flavors come together in this wonderful treat.
- 1 pound of drained and thawed rhubarb, chopped
- 2/3 cup white sugar + 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs + 1 egg mixed for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Mix rhubarb, ⅔ cup sugar, flour, 2 eggs, vanilla, heavy cream in large bowl
- Put the bottom crust in 9" pie dish
- Fill with mixture
- Add top crust, fold top crust under bottom, crimp and either flute or press with fork
- Brush egg wash over center of pie, but leave crust alone
- Sprinkle remaining sugar on pie
- Pierce crust. I just cut for small slits, one on each side.
- Cover outside of crust with tinfoil or crust guard
- Bake 35 minutes
- Remove tinfoil or crust guard.
- Bake 10 minutes more or until crust is golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for an hour or two to room temperature.
- Place in fridge and store until eaten.
- Crimp the pie crust by folding the top under the bottom crust and using a fork to seal, or here is a great video that shows how to flute a pie crust.
- Sugar on top is optional, but it really helps and adds just a tad of crispness.
- Remove the tinfoil after 35 minutes, and then keep an eye on the crust. When it is a light golden brown, remove and allow to cool.
- A few hours of cooling is needed, but overnight is great.
- Make sure to put in a refrigerator, as this does have eggs in it.
Keywords: Rhubarb Pie