A super simple, fresh, and delicious rustic Tomato Soup that will make everybody happy. Butter, cream, and of course tomatoes combine together to make this huge flavor profile with very few ingredients.
- 2 Pounds of Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch, peel, core, and loosely chop tomatoes
- Melt butter over medium in deep soup dish
- Add tomatoes and salt
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add water and simmer for 10 more minutes
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda, stir. It will foam.
- Add cream immediately and stir
- The kind of tomato isn't as important as having nice, fresh tomatoes.
- You don't have to peel the tomatoes if in a hurry, but it is recommended.
- Add fresh herbs appropriate for tomatoes (oregano, basil, thyme) to the soup to enhance the flavor of your soup and make it a bit more your own.
- Instead of adding water, try adding chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- Serving Size: 2 cups (1/2 prepared dish)
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 1335 mg
- Fat: 40 g
- Saturated Fat: 25 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 128 mg
Keywords: rustic tomato soup