This dish is so German and so tasty. Sauerkraut and sausage are all that we really need to say, but then add in knoephla dumplings, cream, and butter. Heaven in a skillet. So much flavor going on in this dish.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- All of the Dumplings
- 8 oz German smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 sections or chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- Mix all dumpling ingredients in a bowl and combine well
- Divide into two pieces just to make easier to work with
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece out with your hand so it is approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and like a rope
- If needed sprinkle with flour to make easier to work with
- cut into 1/2-inch dumpling pieces and set aside.
- Add water to a large pot, salt, and heat to high
- Allow to boil 3-5 minutes or until all dumplings are floating at top
- Strain and set aside
- Add butter to large frying pan and turn to medium high
- Once butter is melted, add dumplings and fry for about five minutes or until a golden brown crust starts to develop on dumplings. Make sure to mix with a spatula regularly.
- add sausage and cook for another 5 minutes or until sausage is warmed
- add milk and allow to simmer for 15 minutes
- add salt and pepper to taste
- Add sauerkraut and cook until warmed.
Keywords: sauerkraut and sausage