Why buy frozen when you can make your own tater tots at home? This recipe is easy and makes some dang good tots!
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of flour
- ½ Tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt to top and to taste
- Peel potatoes
- Finely Shred Potatoes (See Notes)
- Place in strainer and squeeze potatoes to get as much water out as possible ( I squeezed and let sit in strainer for one half-hour, but not necessary.. just make sure as much water is removed as possible)
- Get your fryer going or add oil to pot appropriate for frying and fill to no more than half full of oil.
- Heat oil to 375° Fahrenheit
- While fryer is heating, In mixing bowl add egg and beat
- Add flour to bowl and mix with egg
- Add potatoes to bowl, salt, cayenne
- Form potatoes to 2 inch long cylinders - they should be approximately tater tot shapes. Balls are fine, as well.
- Once heated, do the following in batches appropriate to the size of your fryer:
- Add the tots and cook approximately 5 minutes until outside is golden brown
- Remove from oil using appropriate basket
- Place on plate that has some paper towels to allow oil to drain off and cool
- Immediately sprinkle with salt
- After cooled enough to handle, eat.
Keywords: Tater Tot Recipe