Maultaschen is a delicious German dish. These ravioli-like pillows of awesomeness can be served plainly with butter or in a bowl of broth. Either way, they are delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs + 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ pound ground burger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2.5 ounces spinach
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Six cups of any broth or stock. We used our homemade chicken stock.
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Add dough ingredients (minus one egg for egg wash) to stand mixer.
- Mix with dough hook (or by hand) for 10 minutes and until smooth
- Now would be a good time to cook the bacon if it isn’t already
- Also, fill a pot with water and place on high for cooking spinach
- Wrap and put dough in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Once water is boiling, add spinach
- Boil spinach for three minutes
- Drain and run cold water through.
- Once spinach is cooled, dice
- In a large pan, brown burger on medium-high heat.
- When about 1/2 done, add in onions and cook.
- When nearly done, add spinach, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, parsley, and cream to mixture and cook until everything is heated and hamburger is done.
- Place in a bowl and put in the refrigerator.
- Once dough has been in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, remove.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to be as thin as possible or use a pasta maker. Have patience. This may take some time if you are rolling out by hand.
- Once rolled, cut into an even number of 3-inch x 5-inch sheets
- Place a few tablespoons of filling in center of one sheet. Enough to comfortably fill this like a ravioli.
- egg wash edges and place a second sheet over top.
- use fork to crimp edges and set aside
- repeat for all Maultaschen dough. You should have at least 6 Maultaschen.
- Bring large pot of water to gentle boil.
- Add Maultaschen and cook for 10 minutes
- Warm broth or stock
- Using slotted spoon, remove Maultaschen and place in a bowl of stock or broth
- Top with green onions and serve