This is a Traditional Pasta Sauce recipe that doesn't pull any stops to bring you the most flavor you can get from this Italian classic. From fresh tomatoes to your plate, you are going to get some of the freshest and most delicious spaghetti with this recipe.
5 Pounds of Roma (or similar) tomatoes, blanched, cored and peeled
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
3 ounces salt pork
4 Tablespoons butter
1 Quart beef broth
1 Pound ground pork
1 Pound ground hamburger 93%
½ cup flour
1 cups red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- 14 Ounces spaghetti noodles
- If needed, blanch and peel tomatoes
- Quarter and mash real well with potato masher
- Dice carrots, onion, and salt pork.
- Add butter and salt pork in large pots.
- Cook on medium-low for 5-10 minutes to melt butter and allow fat from salt pork to render
- Add carrots and onions and herbs
- Allow to cook until softened
- Add flour
- Stir in beef broth
- Add tomatoes
- Add garlic, salt, pepper
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 90 minutes
- At 90 minutes, brown and drain both ground meats
- Add meat and wine to sauce
- Allow to cook for 90 minutes
- Cook spaghetti per package and serve sauce over top
- Can't find Salt Pork? Ask the butcher in your store or look in the frozen section. I find it in the frozen food aisles at my normal grocery store. If you still can't find it, try pancetta or bacon.
- Don't get too worked up about the kind of tomatoes. Some nice medium to medium-small sized tomatoes that are ripe and fresh should do the trick. Roma and San Marzano are very popular for sauces, but I am not afraid of tomatoes that are a little plumper
- Chianti, Pinot Noir, or Merlot work great for the wine in this recipe. Buy stuff you would drink, but keep it on the more economical side of things.
- Freeze the sauce and keep for leftovers or future meals. This is a great sauce for freezing.
- Serving Size: 2 Cups Sauce and 2 Ounces Pasta
- Calories: 668
- Sugar: 12 grams
- Sodium: 385 milligrams
- Fat: 27 grams
- Saturated Fat: 11 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 11 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 65 grams
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Protein: 36 grams
- Cholesterol: 108 milligrams
Keywords: Pasta Sauce Recipe