This Beefy Taco Mac & Cheese recipe is going to delight your taste buds and bring you back to home cooking memories.
- 1 pound 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed nacho chips
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning as directed on package in large skillet
- Set ground beef aside
- While ground beef is cooking, cook macaroni as directed on package
- Also while ground beef is cooking, in a large saucepan melt butter on low.
- When butter is fully melted, slowly start sprinkling flour in the pan and continuously mix. The idea is that the mixture of flour and butter will form almost a paste.
- Pour in just a little of the milk and whisk until smooth. Keep on repeating until all milk is blended in.
- Turn heat to medium-high and continuously stir. We want to get the sauce just to boiling and thicken.
- When the sauce starts to heat up, you will notice it start to thicken. Just continue to stir and once boiling, continue stirring for one minute.
- Remove from direct heat and slowly add 2 cups of the cheese to the bechamel while stirring.
- Once this is a smooth sauce, add cheese sauce and macaroni to large skillet with ground beef and mix.
- Serve and add crushed nacho chips to top.
- Consider using out homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- I keep this as a skillet dish, but it could be modified to also add some extra cheese to the top and bake for a bit.
- I used a cast iron skillet for this recipe.
Keywords: Beefy Taco Mac and Cheese