This is a delicious skillet comfort dish that will make the whole family happy. Combining a classic mac and cheese with savory taco flavors is a recipe for happiness.
We have really been diving deep into the world of macaroni and cheese. We have made a traditional mac and cheese, looked at the history of the product, and made a gouda themed mac. The next few posts will be dedicated to variation recipes. I want push my taste buds a bit beyond the traditional recipe. Today, I am going to make a macaroni and cheese recipe that would make twelve-year-old me proud. I am going to try and find some serious comfort food and rich tastes in a Beefy Taco Mac and Cheese.
The Tastebuds of My Memory
In the exploration of this topic, one thing that keeps on coming back to me is Hamburger Helper. As a young adult, Hamburger Helper was like a food group. Somewhere in adulthood, I realized that I can make similar dishes that are way tastier and not that much more expensive. And yes, within the past 5 years, I have bought one just to see if I still liked it. The memory of flavor, for me, is pretty powerful. Did I like Hamburger Helper as a grown up in a grown-up kitchen? Not really. Still, the memory of those flavors stick with me. Our Beefy Taco Mac and Cheese is an attempt to capture some of those flavor memories in a much more tasty way.
While a person could adapt the recipe below to also cook it in the oven, I am going to keep this a skillet meal. This is the way I remember it, so this is the way I am going to cook it. Enjoy the Beefy Taco Mac and Cheese recipe and pin this recipe now.
Beefy Taco Mac and Cheese RecipePrint
This Beefy Taco Mac & Cheese recipe is going to delight your taste buds and bring you back to home cooking memories.
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crushed nacho chips
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning as directed on package in large skillet
- Set ground beef aside
- While ground beef is cooking, cook macaroni as directed on package
- Also while ground beef is cooking, in a large saucepan melt butter on low.
- When butter is fully melted, slowly start sprinkling flour in the pan and continuously mix. The idea is that the mixture of flour and butter will form almost a paste.
- Pour in just a little of the milk and whisk until smooth. Keep on repeating until all milk is blended in.
- Turn heat to medium-high and continuously stir. We want to get the sauce just to boiling and thicken.
- When the sauce starts to heat up, you will notice it start to thicken. Just continue to stir and once boiling, continue stirring for one minute.
- Remove from direct heat and slowly add 2 cups of the cheese to the bechamel while stirring.
- Once this is a smooth sauce, add cheese sauce and macaroni to large skillet with ground beef and mix.
- Serve and add crushed nacho chips to top.