Rømmegrøt is a wonderful Norwegian classic dish that is warming, rich, and delicious. A rustic porridge recipe that is amped up with great ingredients like cream, sugar, butter, and flavor!
- 2 cups homemade sour cream (see notes) alternatively 2 cups heavy cream.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melted butter, for topping
- Sugar, for topping
- Cinnamon, for topping
- Heat milk just to a boil and then remove from heat. Stir to make sure milk does not scald.
- While doing this, add sour cream to medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir continually to ensure the dairy does not scald.
- Allow to simmer while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add flour to sour cream and stir in with fork. Add about 2 Tablespoons at a time
- Once flour is fully incorporated, add 2 Tablespoons of sugar, salt, and stir in.
- Slowly add in hot milk and stir at the same time until evenly mixed.
- Put in dish, top with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Serve.
- To make homemade sour cream, add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice to 2 cups of heavy whipping cream in a mason jar or other dish. Add an additional 1/2 cup of whole milk and stir. Cover with a paper towel and secure with rubber band for a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 24 hours. Mix, remove and refrigerate.
- If you can't make the homemade sour cream, I would recommend using heavy whipping cream instead of store-bought sour cream. Real sour cream tends to be different than store-bought. Get the full homemade sour cream recipe here.
- Scalding cream and milk is something to watch for on this recipe. What does that mean? Stir your dairy to ensure it does not scald!
- Our calorie count accounts for 1 tbsp of melted butter and 1 tbsp sugar for the topping, per serving
- Serving Size: 1/4 total
- Calories: 667 Calories
- Sugar: 22 g
- Sodium: 649 mg
- Fat: 62 g
- Saturated Fat: 36 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 197 mg