These Apple Hand Pies are a great snack or dessert that gives you a portable pocket of delicious apple flavors. The sugar glaze just adds a bit of extra awesome.
For Hand Pie Crust:
- 1 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups white all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water (approximately)
For Apple Hand Pie Filling
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
For Sugar Glaze
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Cut 1 sticks of butter into 1/2 inch cubes
- Place into freezer for 20 minutes
- Place 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- After butter has been in the freezer for 20 minutes, add to food processor and pulse 5-6 times. The goal is to mix the butter into the flour. The cubes of butter should be no smaller than peas.
- Move flour mixture to large bowl
- Add water to flour 1 tablespoons at a time. Toss with fork. We want to get to the point when you take your hand squeeze a handful of flour, it should stick together. If you need more, use more.
- Once this is done, divide into two. Work each half until it sticks together somewhat well and is in a disk. We don’t want the butter to fully incorporate. If you need to add more water, you can, but do so only very sparingly.
- Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to medium mixing bowl
- Peel, core, and loosely chop the apple.
- Add apple to flour mixture and mix.
- Take dough out of freezer and unwrap
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit
- Get to your zen place. Roll out the dough into 2 separate disks.
- Using top large bowl (7 ¼ inches), place on top of dough cut to make good circle for hand pies
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and put crust disks on top.
- Place ½ the apple mixture into each respective crusts.
- Chop 1 tablespoon of butter and place on top of apple mixture.
- Carefully fold dough over to enclose apples.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Use a knife to poke a few small holes in the top of crust to ensure the crust does not inflate in weird and not-fun ways.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes. Check to see if crust is a nice golden brown. If it is, remove. If not, wait another 5 minutes and check again.
- Allow the pies to rest for 2 hours
- Add all ingredients except milk into small dish and mix.
- Slowly add milk to mixture and stir after every few drops.
- When the mixture becomes a nice, thick, white, glaze, don’t mix any further.
- Spread or drip frosting on apple hand pies and allow to set for an additional hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
I slightly reduced the calories based on there being 20% waste in the dough, as some will be cut away and some of the sugar glazes will drip off the hand pie.
Check out our traditional apple pie recipe for more commentary and pics on making our butter crust. Note, this is a smaller portion size, but the techniques really are the same.
Keywords: apple hand pie