These Apple Hand Pies are a great snack or dessert that gives you a portable pocket of delicious apple flavors. The sugar glaze just adds a bit of extra awesome.
For Hand Pie Crust:
- 1 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups white all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup ice cold water (approximately)
For Apple Hand Pie Filling
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
For Sugar Glaze
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon milk
- Cut 1 stick of butter into ½ inch cubes
- Place into freezer for 20 minutes
- Place 1 ¼ cups flour, ½ tablespoon sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- After butter has been in the freezer for 20 minutes, add to food processor and pulse 5-6 times. The goal is to mix the butter into the flour. The cubes of butter should be no smaller than peas.
- Move flour mixture to large bowl
- Add water to flour 1 tablespoons at a time. Toss with fork. We want to get to the point when you take your hand squeeze a handful of flour, it should stick together. If you need more, use more.
- Once this is done, divide it into two. Work each half until it sticks together somewhat well and is in a disk. We don’t want the butter to fully incorporate. If you need to add more water, you can, but do so only very sparingly.
- Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon flour, ¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg to medium mixing bowl
- Peel, core, and loosely chop the apple.
- Add apple to flour mixture and mix.
- Take dough out of freezer and unwrap
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit
- Get to your zen place. Roll out the dough into 2 separate disks.
- Using top large bowl (7 ¼ inches), place on top of dough cut to make good circle for hand pies
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and put crust disks on top.
- Place ½ the apple mixture into each respective crusts.
- Chop 1 tablespoon of butter and place on top of apple mixture.
- Carefully fold dough over to enclose apples.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Use a knife to poke a few small holes in the top of crust to ensure the crust does not inflate in weird and not-fun ways.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes. Check to see if crust is a nice golden brown. If it is, remove. If not, wait another 5 minutes and check again.
- Allow the pies to rest for 2 hours
- Add all ingredients except milk into small dish and mix.
- Slowly add milk to mixture and stir after every few drops.
- Mix until it is a nice, thick, white, glaze.
- Spread or drip frosting on apple hand pies and allow to set for an additional hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
- I slightly reduced the calories based on there being 20% waste in the dough, as some will be cut away and some of the sugar glazes will drip off the hand pie.
- Check out our traditional apple pie recipe for more commentary and pics on making our butter crust. Note, this is a smaller portion size, but the techniques really are the same.
Keywords: apple hand pie