This Vegetarian Chow Mein with Fried Honey Tofu takes a bit of time and patience but will knock your socks off.
- 156 grams Bread Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 eggs
- 78 grams water
- ¼ cup oil For Frying
- 1 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 green onions
- 1 Cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 Baby Bok Choy
- 2–3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons Peanut oil or other oil appropriate for high heat
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut lengthwise into 4ths
- 3 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons thick soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Thick Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
Raw Homemade Chinese Noodles (steps 1-11 are the raw noodle recipe from the base Noodle Recipe, prior to frying
- In large bowl, mix flour and salt
- In separate bowl, add egg and water to make a total weight of 78g
- Beat the eggs and water
- Slowly mix egg/water mixture into flour
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes (do not add water) in the bowl
- Leave bowl, loosely covered and let sit for 30 Minutes
- Knead for an additional minute and should be a smooth ball at this point
- Sprinkle flour onto rolling mat and use rolling pin to roll out dough to 1mm to 2 mm thick. BE PATIENT
- Cut thinly with knife. In the video, she folds the dough, but I just roll it and cut the individual noodles.
- Once all noodles are cut, they are ready for a boil
- Add to Boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then strain.
- Add 1 Tablespoon peanut oil to wok and heat
- Add baby bock choy and allow to cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until cooked through
- Add green onion, bean sprouts, and garlic.
- Stir-fry for another 3o seconds to 1 minute
- Remove and set aside
- Add 2 Tablespoons oil to wok and turn to high
- While heating, cut tofu lengthwise into fourths
- Add soy sauces, oil, and honey to bowl and mix
- Once wok is heated add tofu to wok and allow to fri for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is golden brown and then flip – be sure to use a spatula to ensure tofu does not stick
- Allow tofu to fry for 2-3 more minutes
- Add sauce and allow to to cook down while flipping tofu so the sauce coats
- Remove tofu, pour any remaining sauce on top, and set aside in a covered container to keep warm
- Clean up wok and add ¼ cup oil to wok
- Once heated, add Noodles and fry for approximately 2 minutes or until noodles are crispy. The goal here is NOT to make them crispy like the ‘from a can’ variation, but noodles that have been fried enough so they are crispy on the outside, but still noodle-like.
- Once noodles are crispy, add noodle sauce and allow to cook down.
- Re-add all vegetables to walk and incorporate everything
- Plate and add tofu on the side.