This Chicago Deep Dish Meat Lover Pizza recipe is delicious, classic, and such a great meal for deep dish pizza lovers. Get the recipe and learn how to do it right!
We are nearing the end of our Chicago deep dish series and I am already starting to miss it. I already lament the future days when I am not cooking, eating, and writing about pizza on a daily basis. Such a cruel, cruel world this is. How shall I get over it? Why, by making some pizza, of course. I figured I would have a tough time getting through this series without doing a Chicago deep dish meat lover pizza so that’s what we are going to make.
Most often, when I order pizza, I get a topping or maybe two, but sometimes I like to dig down deep into my carnivorous roots and gnash on a big pizza full of meat. I am not going to lie to you and say that this pizza is that much different than the original best Chicago deep dish recipe, but I needed an excuse to make this monster pizza. So here we are!
So, what toppings should go with a Chicago deep dish meat lover pizza? For my Chicago deep dish meat lover pizza, we are going to use three types of meat. Well, we have to start with sausage. I prefer hot Italian sausage, so that is what we are going to do. I don’t think we can have a meat lover pizza without pepperoni, either. Many other meat lover pizzas have ham and bacon on their pizza. I just am not a fan of bacon on my pizzas, so I can nix that. Look, I LOVE bacon. I wrote a book about bacon, but pizza is not my favorite place for it. The taste is just too overpowering of the other ingredients and if I want bacon with pizza, I would have it on the side.
I also am not going to add ham. I am, however, going to fancy it up a bit in this mutha and split the difference. We are going to add a hot Capocollo to our za, but prosciutto would work as well. Capocollo is ham’s stepchild and bacon’s rich cousin. It is not quite as overpowering as bacon but will add some of those flavors to our awesome meat lover pizza.
Love pizza? Love Meat? This Chicago Deep Dish Meat Lover Pizza is a great pizza that you can make tonight.
- 283 grams bread flour
- 170 grams lukewarm water
- 54 grams peanut oil
- 2 grams active dry yeast
- 2 grams salt
- 1 gram sugar
- 1 pound of whole milk low-moisture mozzarella, sliced
- 3 Ounce Pepperoni
- 3 Ounce Capocollo
- 14 ounces of Italian Sausage, uncooked
- 1 batch of the best Chicago deep dish sauce
- ¼ cup of freshly grated parmesan
- In large mixing bowl, add water, sugar and salt
- Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 5 minutes
- Add ¼ cup of flour and oil to bowl
- Continue adding ¼ cup of flour and mixing until it is of batter consistency
- Add rest of flour and mix until combined
- Use your mixer and dough hook to mix on medium low for 1 minute OR knead by hand for 2-3 minutes
- Form into ball and place in bowl
- Lightly cover ball with oil
- Place plastic wrap over bowl and place in warm place for 1-2 hours OR until dough size has doubled
- While dough is rising, place pizza stone on bottom rack and heat oven to 500
- Allow stone to heat appropriately (40 minutes to 1 hour)
- Once dough has doubled, place dough into lightly oiled 12 inch deep dish pizza pan
- Spread dough to cover bottom. It should be flat and even all along the bottom.
- Using your pointer finger and thumb pinch up along the sides of the entirety of the pizza, creating the side crust of your pizza
- Add sliced mozzarella to the cover the bottom of the crust
- Add Pepperoni and Capocollo
- Add Italian sausage and any other ingredients you may want. Spread evenly
- Add deep dish pizza sauce and spread evenly
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top
- Place pie in oven and turn oven down to 450.
- Cook for 35 minutes
- Remove and enjoy!