This Black and Blue Burger is filled with tangy blue cheese, topped with rosemary garlic mayo, and slabs of bacon are the exclamation point on this big burger. Learn how to make this flavor bomb and get this delicious grilling recipe today.
We are going to spice up the traditional hamburger and cook a juicy Black and Blue Burger today. To make it even better, we are going to top this bad boy off with a rosemary garlic mayo sauce and bacon. Bacon is beautiful, right? One thing I like about a black and blue burger is that it really has a strong flavor profile. If we are going to mess with the perfection that is a simple hamburger, why not make it zing with the flavors that this hamburger give?
What is a Black and Blue Burger?
Where Does The Black Come From?
To sum up the definition of a blackened burger, we make it black. Obvious, right? This effect is created by covering the burger in seasoning. Once it is cooked, the burger has a much darker appearance than a traditional patty. Hold on to your socks, though, folks… that is not all when it comes to this black and blue burger recipe.
Where Does The Blue Come From?
Blue cheese. This fine, slightly stinky, cheese brings some earthy balance to the mix. Perhaps if this kind of cheese is not your style, you could go a bit lighter and add feta instead of blue cheese. I enjoy, however, the balance that the creamy cheese brings to the blackened, spiciness that covers the burger in this black and blue burger recipe.
Black and Blue Patties
These are not small burgers. We are making quarter pound patties and then putting a little pocket of blue cheese right in the center. There really is no secret to this other than to try and make it seal as nicely as possible. Use your hand to crimp the edges and work to make a nice sealed burger.
Why stop there?
We have spiciness in this recipe and some creamy, earthiness. What else could we do to this burger to bomb your taste buds with flavor. How about some bacon and rosemary garlic? Mmmm. Bacon.
We have a post on how to make some killer brioche buns, as well as another on grinding your own hamburger patties. All in all, this Black And Blue Burger is a flavor bomb and your mouth can be ground zero.
Let me know if you make this hamburger and it goes well, let me know in the comments below. If you like what we are doing here, consider signing up for email updates and sharing this recipe on Pinterest!
Products I Used In This RecipePrint
Black and blue burger recipe
This Black and Blue burger adds a ton of zing to your grilling repertoire. Not only is it a great hamburger, but has a beautiful rosemary garlic mayo and a few slabs of wonderful, wonderful bacon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Yield: 3 Hamburgers 1x
- Category: Grilling
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 Pounds 80/20 Hamburger
- 3 Ounces Blue Cheese
- 6 Cooked bacon strips
- 3 Hamburger Buns
- Black and Blue Burger Seasoning (see below)
- Rosemary Garlic Mayo (see below)
Black and Blue Burger Seasoning:
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- .25 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- .25 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
Rosemary Garlic Mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons diced rosemary
- Mix all Rosemary Garlic Mayo ingredients in a small dish and put in fridge
- Mix all dry seasoning ingredients and set aside. Can store additional in an airtight container.
- Make 6 1/4 pound patties
- Place 1 ounce of cheese in the center of three of the patties.
- Place patties without cheese over the patties with cheese to make a sealed, stuffed hamburger. Make sure sides are tight.
- Rub dry seasoning on burger patties.
- Preheat grill to 450.
- Allow to grill for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Flip once. Allow to grill another 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Ensure the temperature is safe with your thermometer and if it is, place on buns.
- Top burgers with mayo and bacon.
Keywords: Black and Blue Burger