We have been looking at Old Fashioned recipes for a while now and I think it is a good time to switch gears to a cheesier subject. Macaroni and Cheese is the next topic we are going to cover! Sure, it is a meal that most of us remember and relished as kids, but I don’t think I am alone by saying I still love it. Perhaps I don’t buy the cheapo boxes that I was served as a kid (full disclosure: I still sometimes buy them), but I still love that simple combination of pasta and cheese.
You might ask what could I possibly explore with Macaroni and Cheese? Well, I am going to make it sort of a nebulous topic and probably way more complicated than it needs to be. For me, that is the fun of it!
Macaroni and Cheese topic rundown
So, here is a rundown of the things I intend on covering over the next few weeks.
- Recipes. Of course recipes. We will try and find a great, elegant, macaroni and cheese recipe that fills the essence of the dish. We will also stretch out and make some variation recipes that will give us some pops of flavor along the way. I am going to have to put on my carb pants for this subject. I know, such a terrible job.
- What is the ‘essence’ of Macaroni and Cheese? What makes a perfect Macaroni and Cheese dish? Only made in a pan or baked, as well? Breadcrumbs? If you have opinions, I would love to hear them.
- History. Oh man – I am not 100% sure how deep I am going to go on this, but this could get ridiculous. Pretty sure that people write entire books about some of the subjects I will be touching on. I think I am going to work on a ‘history of macaroni’ post. Then I will sprinkle in a ‘history of cheese’ post. Finally, I wonder if it is even possible to find the origin of ‘Macaroni and Cheese’? Well, I will try to give the subject some attention.
- I don’t think I am going to make my own cheese for this one, although I have made some cheese. I am, however, going to try and make my own macaroni. This isn’t going to be the easiest, particularly since I don’t have machinery, but I am going to give it a whirl. I have made pasta before and sort of giving myself a pasta Bootcamp right now, in preparation.
- Ashley, my wife, has been wanting me to try to make a vegan macaroni and cheese. I am seeing some interesting recipes out there for this that use sweet potato. I am going to use one or two of those as an inspiration to make my own version. While I am not a vegan, I do enjoy experimenting (aka playing) with my food.
So, stay tuned ladies and gents over the next few weeks, as we are going to have some fun with Macaroni and Cheese! Finally, it would be really great if you would follow me on the Pinterests!