The Classic Sazerac Recipe is so tasty and has so much character. It brings together Rye Whiskey and Absinthe in a New Orleans drink mainstay that is so darn delicious.
After looking at the history of the Sazerac and looking at the elements of the cocktail, I think it is time to make the best Sazerac recipe we can. This New Orleans classic is really a simple drink to make, but it the ingredients can also become quickly unbalanced. With just a little patience and the right ingredients, you to can make a great cocktail with this Sazerac recipe.
The Devil Is In The Details in A Great Sazerac Recipe
In our elements post, we covered the ingredients we are going to use. Here we are going to refer to that post, as well as make some cocktail construction tips.
We will be constructing this in two Old Fashioned Glasses. One is used for chilling and an absinthe wash, while the other is used to construct the bulk of the drink. Like the Old Fashioned, we are going to use our own sugar cube recipe. A person can use simple syrup or plain sugar, as well.
We also use an absinthe wash. Very little absinthe is actually used in the cocktail, but not much is needed. It is very high in alcohol and the anise flavors can be very strong. In the chilling glass, just a small splash will be used to rinse the inside and then the rest will be discarded.
This simple, classic Sazerac recipe is a winner and respects the heritage of the classic cocktail. Thanks for reading and please make sure to follow me on Pinterest and sign up to receive Ramshackle Pantry posts via email.Print
How to make the best classic Sazerac cocktail. Celebrate New Orleans culture with this cocktail and drink an awesome drink tonight!
- 2 Old Fashioned Glasses
- 1 Sugar Cube (SEE NOTES)
- 4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 2 Ounces Rye Whiskey (I use Sazerac Rye)
- Splash of Absinthe
- Lemon Peel
- Fill one Old Fashioned Glass with Ice and cold water
- In the other glass, place sugar cube at the bottom
- Add 4 dashes of bitters and just a splash of water
- Muddle until mixed
- Add ice to same glass
- Add whiskey
- Empty the glass filled with ice water
- Add the splash of absinthe and swirl around to try and coat inside of glass
- Dump any remaining absinthe
- Using mixing spoon, stir whiskey concoction for about 10 seconds
- Strain whiskey concoction into empty glass
- Express lemon peel into cocktail, wipe edges with peel and add as garnish
Keywords: Sazerac Cocktail